In spite of its name, the leaves of this plant are not always lying flat on the ground. This does not come as a complete surprise in a species which is probably more variable in its leaf characters than any other Glottiphyllum. This variability is reflected in the long list of synonyms. It seems likely that the very wide distribution of this species (compared to its siblings) is at least partly responsible for the wide range of characters.
In each pair, the leaves are slightly different in size (in the seedling state this difference does not exist); they may be up to 8.5 cm long and the tips often have a more or less distinct hook.
As in all other Glottiphyllums (apart from some albinos) the flowers are yellow; they appear in mid winter (July-August).
The plants occur from the southern Ceres Karoo through the Little Karoo to Humansdorp and are often the only Glottiphyllum in the area. They normally grow under shrubs in shaley sandstone or on loamy soils.
PUBLICATIONS / WEBSITEIf you want information on my CD "Succulent plants of the Little Karoo" , have a look at my website http://www.noltee.com. You can order my ebook "Plant photography; from theory to practice" directly from https://my.bookbaby.com/book/plant-and-flower-photography. The price is $ 14.99.
- adaptations Adromischus Aizoaceae (Mesembryanthemaceae) Aloe Aloinopsis Amaryllidaceae Anacampseros Antimima Apocynaceae Apocynaceae (Asclepiadaceae) Argyroderma Asphodelaceae Asphodelaceae (Aloaceae) Asteraceae (Compositae) Astroloba Avonia Boophone botanical terms Bulbine Bushmanland caudiciforms Cheiridopsis Conophytum Cotyledon Crassula Crassulaceae Curio Cylindrophyllum Deilanthe Delosperma Dioscorea Drosanthemum East Africa Euphorbia Euphorbiaceae Faucaria geophytes Geraniaceae Gibbaeum Glottiphyllum Great Karoo Haworthia Haworthia arachnoidea Horn of Africa hybrid offspring knersvlakte Lampranthus Lithops Little Karoo Madagascar Mesembryanthemum Mesembs miniatures Monsonia Namaqualand Namibia natural hybrids Othonna Pelargonium Phyllobolus plant photography Portulacaceae Quaqua Rhinephyllum Richtersveld Ruschia Sarcocaulon Senecio Somaliland South African succulents Stapelia Stapeliads Stomatium Trichodiadema Vygies
- Follow enjoy succulents on WordPress.com
- Pachypodium horombense January 18, 2017
- Augea capensis January 9, 2017
- Pelargonium echinatum (part 2 of 2) January 3, 2017
- Pelargonium echinatum (part 1 of 2) January 2, 2017
- In search of the ideal tripod for plant photography December 23, 2016