The original E. mammillaris was known to occur from the Riversdale district in the west to the Oudtshoorn area in the east. The plants growing there look like the ones in the first 4 pictures. By the way, the 4th one was taken last Sunday at the Vrolykheid Nature Reserve between Robertson and McGregor, which is much further to the west.
Pictures 5 and 6 show plants from near Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape. They represent what used to be called E. fimbriata, with rather narrower and more sinuous stems. This habit is an adaptation to the growing conditions there: a dense cover of bush (#5) or grass (#6) as opposed to the open habitats in the west.
PUBLICATIONS / WEBSITEIf you want information on my CD "Succulent plants of the Little Karoo" , have a look at my website http://www.noltee.com. You can order my ebook "Plant photography; from theory to practice" directly from https://my.bookbaby.com/book/plant-and-flower-photography. The price is $ 14.99.
- adaptations Adromischus Aizoaceae (Mesembryanthemaceae) Aloe Aloinopsis Amaryllidaceae Anacampseros Antimima Apocynaceae Apocynaceae (Asclepiadaceae) Argyroderma Asphodelaceae Asphodelaceae (Aloaceae) Asteraceae (Compositae) Astroloba Avonia Boophone botanical terms Bulbine Bushmanland caudiciforms Cheiridopsis Conophytum Cotyledon Crassula Crassulaceae Curio Cylindrophyllum Deilanthe Delosperma Dioscorea Drosanthemum East Africa Euphorbia Euphorbiaceae Faucaria geophytes Geraniaceae Gibbaeum Glottiphyllum Great Karoo Haworthia Haworthia arachnoidea Horn of Africa hybrid offspring knersvlakte Lampranthus Lithops Little Karoo Madagascar Mesembryanthemum Mesembs miniatures Monsonia Namaqualand Namibia natural hybrids Othonna Pelargonium Phyllobolus plant photography Portulacaceae Quaqua Rhinephyllum Richtersveld Ruschia Sarcocaulon Senecio Somaliland South African succulents Stapelia Stapeliads Stomatium Trichodiadema Vygies
- Follow enjoy succulents on WordPress.com
- Pachypodium horombense January 18, 2017
- Augea capensis January 9, 2017
- Pelargonium echinatum (part 2 of 2) January 3, 2017
- Pelargonium echinatum (part 1 of 2) January 2, 2017
- In search of the ideal tripod for plant photography December 23, 2016