This is the Lithops species with the most southerly distribution area of the whole genus, in the lower Great Karoo from Laingsburg to Steytlerville. It is easily recognized because of the very dense pattern of miniature windows. Mature plants usually have 2-5 bodies, but may occasionally have more than twenty. They flower in April and May.
The naming of the species is a very confusing issue; suffice it to say here that the name L. terricolor is also in use.
All pictures below were taken on the Witteberge plateau south of Laingsburg, very near to the type locality.
No 1: 4 Sept. 2011; no 2: 29 July 2010; nos 3, 4: 21 April 2012
PUBLICATIONSMy ebook "Plant photography; from theory to practice" can be ordered directly from https://my.bookbaby.com/book/ plant-and-flower-photography. The price is $ 14.99.
- adaptations Adromischus Aizoaceae (Mesembryanthemaceae) Aloe Aloinopsis Amaryllidaceae Anacampseros Antimima Apocynaceae Apocynaceae (Asclepiadaceae) Argyroderma Asphodelaceae Asphodelaceae (Aloaceae) Asteraceae (Compositae) Astroloba Avonia Boophone botanical terms Bulbine Bushmanland caudiciforms Cheiridopsis Conophytum Cotyledon Crassula Crassulaceae Curio Cylindrophyllum Deilanthe Delosperma Dioscorea Drosanthemum East Africa Euphorbia Euphorbiaceae geophytes Geraniaceae Gibbaeum Glottiphyllum Great Karoo Haworthia Haworthia arachnoidea Horn of Africa hybrid offspring knersvlakte Lampranthus Lithops Little Karoo Madagascan succulents Madagascar Mesembryanthemum Mesembs miniatures Monsonia Namaqualand Namibia natural hybrids Othonna Pelargonium Phyllobolus plant photography Portulacaceae Quaqua Rhinephyllum Richtersveld Ruschia Sarcocaulon Senecio Somaliland South African succulents Stapelia Stapeliads Stomatium Trichodiadema Vygies
- Follow enjoy succulents on WordPress.com
- Tylecodon reticulatus subsp. reticulatus (part 2 of 2) May 8, 2017
- Tylecodon reticulatus subsp. reticulatus (part 1 of 2) May 7, 2017
- Lithops karasmontana ssp. karasmontana var. karasmontana April 29, 2017
- Malephora mollis April 22, 2017
- Kewa (Hypertelis) salsoloides April 17, 2017